‘A lively, exuberant storyteller’
Carlos Amato, Mail & Guardian cartoonist
Photography © Daniel Manners
In 2019, I celebrate nearly two decades as an award-winning storyteller.
By distilling complex subjects into accessible narratives, my mission is to tell the stories that shape the natural world and the cosmos at large, help deepen our understanding of the human experience and explore fresh, even counterintuitive, connections between these themes. As author and book editor, I thrive in fiction and nonfiction – in English as well as Afrikaans.
Location independent with a Cape Town base, I have worked with international institutions in all media forms. I have:
– Ghostwritten, edited and proofread major books
– Developed manuscripts/documentary scripts for exposés
– Consulted creatively to big news websites
– Edited and written all kinds of copy for print/digi media
– Produced cover stories/photos for the press
– Written award-winning columns (grammar to life-writing)
– Won Environmental Journalist of the Year
– Interviewed hundreds of newsmakers, from science to arts
– Launched South Africa’s 1st photo competition for rare nature
– Created hundreds of audible hours (science/environment)
– 1st woman science writer for the SA Antarctic Programme
When not telling stories, I am probably on a meditative track, playing chess or exploring our Pale Blue Dot’s natural beauty.
She deserves her tiara.
– Branko Brkić, founder & editor, Daily Maverick
I was privileged to have Tiara edit my memoir, The Twinkling of an Eye. I was asked by many people how I could allow a professional editor to work with the extremely sensitive content of my son’s death from a brain tumour – but Tiara paid attention to the smallest detail. I was greatly reassured by the incredible amount of time, and emotional energy, she gave to the accurate telling of my story.
– Sue Brown, author
Beautifully told. A sense of true aestheticism. I felt understood in my own grief.
My undying gratitude to Tiara who edited the final version of my memoir, Queen of the Free State, for her warmth and understanding, meticulous eye, intuitive and sensitive suggestions, all of which helped bring coherence to the chapters – seriously, how can I ever thank you?
– Jennifer Friedman, author
Tiara worked with me on a number of books for Tafelberg Publishers. I was completely satisfied with her editing/proofreading: thorough, thoughtful, effective and on time.
– Annie de Beer, publishing specialist
Tiara has contributed to Sunday Times Lifestyle since 2005. She is a gifted interviewer and a lively, exuberant storyteller. Her memorable pieces have ranged from the secret lives of Uber drivers to the obsessions of long-distance swimmers. She is a pleasure to work with: energetic, punctual and pleasant.
– Carlos Amato, former editor, Sunday Times Lifestyle
Cartoonist, Mail & Guardian
Tiara is self-motivated with impressive credits. She is professional, her love for conservation/travel journalism is infectious and she presides over a considerable work ethic. Want a good all-rounder who’s fun to work with? Tiara’s the one.
– Don Pinnock, author/former editor of Getaway Magazine
I have always been impressed by Tiara’s dedication to her work. She pays attention to detail, and has an excellent command of the English language as well as the concepts involved. She is interactive and co-operative and always a pleasure to have on the freelance staff. Tiara is a first-class copy editor.
– Patrick Bulger, chief subeditor, Sunday Times
The relationship between journalist and copy editor is often touchy, particularly on newspapers where the march of the deadline is constant. But Tiara’s sensitive line changes and feedback pointedly improved my work for Sunday Times Lifestyle in its final form. Her vibrant personality also helped. She understood what a sentence needed to do and be to achieve a kind of perfection.
– Sean O’Toole, journalist, art critic
Tiara has worked under considerable pressure at times, but she has always managed to keep her sense of humour.
– Susan Smuts, legal editor, Sunday Times